What is the fastest way to learn a language? How can we speed up the process and how can it become most relevant and applicable to your every day life? Through user research I learned that most travelers have the problem of knowing words that are usually not relevant to the situation, place they are in. For example knowing how to ask for address and how much something costs in a restaurant setting is not quite useful.
I designed an app in which the traveler is able to select a language and the space that they are currently in, for example at the college, in a restaurant or in the kitchen. The app will then access the database of words that are most relevant to that space.
1. I have always been intrigued by languages and have always attempted to learn as many as I could. In my experience I have learned that the best way to become fluent in a language is to live in the country itself. However, that is still not the fastest way to learn, with your dictionary and googling of words. The words might still not be in the correct context and also become easy to forget without visuals.
2. I am also interested in the application of AI to mundane and regular interactions of the user. Through research and prototyping with machine learning tools and datasets, I became aware of its complicated yet the straight forward manipulation of datasets. AI can be trained through any given dataset including images, words, phrases. The machine is able to learn whatever it is that you want it to learn, which is the charm and problem at the same time. But for this project I am using AI for its charm and efficiency.
3. I wanted llamallinguall to be simple in concept but complex in technology. The app is a language learning app, that is a tool for anyone wanting to learn as little as a few words or as much as becoming fluent in a language. The object recognition AI provides the user with a dataset that fits the physical environment of the user. For example, if the user is sitting in a coffeeshop they are able to generate the dataset for that environment and learn words and phrases to match their exact surrounding in real time.
4. Language learning becoming easy through advanced technology.
I conducted a small group research through nine questions designed based off the common challenges of travelers. Do you carry a dictionary with you when you travel abroad? Do you attempt to learn the language of the country you are visiting? If yes, what are some of the ways that you try to learn words?
As a designer, I want to design a language learning app so that the learning can be directly relevant to the user’s surroundings.
1. The app accesses the selected database and gives translation through object recognition AI.
2. The user is able to hover their phone over an object they want a translation for, then LinguaScope will translate the word into the language.
3. In the final step the user is able to add words that they found difficult to remember in a list of difficult words, which LinguaScope will use as a base for creating various ways to incorporate those words in order for the user to remember.
User Flow Sketch
What are the colors that remind users of traveling and summer? What is the scenery that is most associated with travel? Through this research I developed the visual appearance of the app and designed the overall feel and purpose of it.
The typography used in this app is legible, clean and familiar. The colors chosen are faded, light and pastel to give a relaxed feel to the user learning a language. Language learning is a slow process therefore needs to be designed in a way that gives enough time to the student to learn.